As a ten year old in Lancaster I was addicted to the Lone Ranger and his trusted friend Tonto. On radio, television and the Saturday morning pictures I couldn’t get enough of these 2 buddies fighting the good fight. I was given a first edition of Fran Striker’s 1940 book for Christmas and this reminded me of the Lone Ranger’s Creed.
A good way to kick off the New Year (and every year.)
The Lone Ranger’s Creed
1. I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.
2. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.
3. That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.
4. In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.
5. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.
6. That “this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people,” shall live always.
7. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.
8. That sooner or later . . . somewhere . . . somehow . . . we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.
9. That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever.
10. I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.