According to the World Economic Forum, the greatest threats to humanity in 2017 are:
- Donald Trump (oops – just kidding)
- Extreme weather – flash floods, heatwaves and drought. Global warming is real.
- Large scale migration.
- Deadly terrorist activity.
- A devastating natural disaster such as an earthquake or hurricane.
- Massive data theft.
To this I believe you can add:
- The growing rage of the forgotten middle class and the flight to populism and protectionism (the natural precursor to fascism).
- A deadly pandemic / virus travelling globally at lightning speed.
- A lack of moral, purpose-driven leadership at the political level in a growing number of key economies, both developed and developing.
- The rise and rise of Putin’s single-minded determination to destabilise the West and “recreate the Soviet Empire”.
- The de-unification of the US as President Trump fails to bring harmony (or at least tolerance) to the Greatest Nation on Earth.
But – there’s a bunch of Good News too – read tomorrow’s blog.