Six months ago we were just settling into a life of semi-isolation / lockdown / social distancing and I was paying thanks to broadcasters/platforms like Apple, Amazon, Netflix etc.
Time to tip the hat once again – thanks Fellows:
- Still engrossed in Hinterland, Cardinal (Series 3) and Bosch (Series 6) – dark, real, moody characters and situations.
- Escaped with doses of different humour – Steve Carell’s zany Space Force (with his unforgettable rendition of Kokomo) and a Colombian tongue-in-cheek adaptation of a real heist – The Great Heist.
- Was intrigued by two fly-on-the-wall documentaries – the brilliant Netflix story of Barça (and Guardiola) Take the Ball, Pass the Ball and the bare all Amazon All or Nothing Tottenham Hotspur, airbrushing the worthy Mauricio Pochettino, in favour of the train-wreck of Narcissus incarnate (José Mourinho) and Football’s own David Brent (Daniel Levy).
- Fed the nostalgia itch with PBS (via iTunes) remake of one of my favourite screen detectives – 1972’s Van der Valk – now we have a 2020 version – am two episodes in.
- Watched a great movie – Ethan Hawke’s Blaze – (I missed it in 2018) – great music, great storytelling – Blaze Foley – what a guy.
- And a date to note – September 27 – Series 4 of Fargo breaks on iTunes – back after three years. Two gangs at war in Kansas City in the 1950’s – super-relevant to America today – immigrants, race, violence, conflict.
- Oh – and the Premier League is back. Thank you NBC / Peacock – Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and maybe even Bielsa’s Leeds – all the games live!!
Bring it on. Come on City!