Inspiring a team remotely has been challenging. And it will continue to be part of our new lives. Here are nine things that have been helping me:
- Check in on how people are feeling, using the two-adjective headline structure.
- Talk about the tough stuff – honestly and empathetically.
- Trust your colleagues; encourage collaboration and connectivity.
- Guide, coach or point – don’t control.
- Be Present. Be Strong. Be Clear.
- Listen actively – with your eyes, don’t interrupt. Be curious – ask questions.
- Focus on things that are achievable. (Manage the Unavoidable. Avoid the Unmanageable.)
- Stay calm and demonstrate hope (optimism grounded in facts).
- Close with the three HUM’s (Humanity, Humility, Humour).