As visitors to this parish are aware, I’m a big believer in The Power of Three. And in this Age of Distraction I’ve been a practitioner of Focus / Commitment / Discipline for many years.
This is the secret to Making Things Happen. Stay focussed, stay single-minded on task completion and Keep Going. Not very sexy. Just effective.
And the Biggest Threat to Peak Performance in any business today? The weapon of Mass Distraction – and simultaneously our greatest enabling ally – the Smart Phone.
Research indicates many of us are distracted nearly 50% of the time. No wonder we feel so much stress and that our lives are out of balance.
• We check our phones 150 times/day, or every 6 1/2 minutes.
• We spend 2 1/2 hours each day on our phone, in 76 different sessions.
• Millennials spend 1.8 hours of their work-day on social media – whilst at work.
• Productivity is declining.
• Competitiveness is declining.
• Our own sense of achievement is declining.
• Happiness is declining.
FOCUS. COMMITMENT. DISCIPLINE.
Figure out some basic rules and stick to them. Take control of your phone. Don’t let it control you.