We’ve just spent 10 days in the tranquillity of two of our favourite Turkey and Greece hideaways, the Amanruya and Amanzoe – our fourth post season visit to each spot as we accelerate into an intense fourth quarter of activity in the US, Mexico City, Bogota, Spain, Portugal and the UK.
In any fitness regime, elite pro sport, elite armed forces or indeed business – Rest, Recuperation and Recovery are inherent to enhanced Peak Performance.
Here are my KR Rules for regeneration of mind, body and spirit – to be followed at the beginning of each quarter.
- Follow the Sun. Lennon and McCartney were right. Nothing refills the tank quite like a booster of natural Vitamin D. Sunshine on your shoulder can’t be beat!
- Avoid school holidays.
- Visit your favourite hideaways off season. The service is amazing, guest/employee ratios are heavily in your favour, and pricing / benefits are usually disproportionately favourable.
- Make No Plans. Have no schedule. Make no dining reservations (it’s off-season). Be agile. Be Free!
- Do not travel with friends. Just you and your partner. Fall in love all over again.
- Load up your iPads with Netflix stand-up comedy (Jim Jefferies, Tom Segura, Bill Burr). Political incorrectness in excelsis. Laugh out loud.
- No emails/calls between 5pm and 8am.
- Organise your work in daily four hour blocks. Either 8am to mid-day, or 2pm – 6pm. No working during non-work blocks.
- Barefoot or sneakers only.
- Read and finish two books per week – fiction or biography. No business / self-help books.
- Eat lots of fish and fruit. Fresh.
- Try the local beers and wines.
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.
- Make daily additions to your new R3 Spotify playlist.
- Wear lots of white – jackets, shirts, pants.
- Write a daily journal / scrap-book. Fill it with memorabilia from your trip. And write about how you feel, not just what you’ve seen or done. (Include a personal letter to each of your kids/grandkids.)
- Ride a bike every day.
- Buy a t-shirt or cap from the local brewery/vineyard/bar.
- Look after your skin. Use Isdin sun/skin products – they work.
- Make your own list of R3 Rules. Follow them.