We stayed in idyllic Ibiza for a few days in early October – post the crazy summer – at a Leading Hotel – Hotel Bless – about 45 minutes from Ibiza town, in the mountains / on the beach.
A beautiful hotel (Forbes top 50 worldwide), with a brilliant rooftop bar – Epic (See KRC Foodie Friday – In Ibiza with Trudy, September 29th).
We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in Martin Berasategui Etxeko, one-star Michelin in the bespoke, wonderful dining room in the Hotel. Martin is Spain’s most decorated chef with 12 Michelin Stars, including three for his famous restaurant in Lasarte-Oria. Etxeko, a Basque word meaning ‘from home’ and is an excellent description of the restaurant approach – Basque and homely.
Here’s our menu – washed down by a magnificent Meursault and a superb Petit Cheval Blanc 2010.
First Step Snacks:
- Ham Omelette (lightly cooked with a liquid centre)
- Crispy carob toast with smoked sardine, roasted piquillo pepper and dashes of avocado mousse
- Marinated mussels with a garlic and butter emulsion
Second Step Snacks:
- Tempura hake with an amontillado and caviar mayonnaise
- Citrus trilogy
Selection of our olive oils, breads and butters
The Classic Choice:
- Chilli foam, Ibiza sirvia (lemon fish) marinated in a cucumber and watercress mayonnaise
Land and Sea in Harmony:
- Etxeko salad “just how Martin Berasategui likes it”
From the Land:
- Slice of smoked Iberian pork shoulder, hints of oyster tarama and mustard ice cream
From the Coast to the Garden:
- Langoustine carpaccio served on a textured fennel emulsion
From the Ocean:
- Roast wild sea bass served on a bed of seaweed, with scallops and cauliflower couscous
The Traditional Choice:
- Suckling lamb in gravy, with wild mushrooms, black agliata (traditional Italian garlic sauce) and hints of soured milk
- Gin – Fizz
- Celery sorbet with brandy granita, carrot with hints of beetroot and fruit
- Creamed mango with sugared hazelnuts, coffee butter and vanilla toffee
Our Sweetest Finale:
- Lemon sponge with chocolate and coffee crème
- Caramel-filled profiterole
- Mini raspberry and cocoa truffle